word 'Shambles' means a place for the sale or slaughter of
at the junction which leads to Downpatrick Head, the Shambles
is one of Ballycastle's oldest landmarks. It is surrounded
by a high stone built wall. It was erected between 1830's
- 1840's as a Co-Op for the buying of local farm produce.
It was taken over by the British Government and used as a
British Garrison in the late 1880's. In the 1920's, the Irish
Land Commission took it over and rented it to a local farmer.
It was used as a market place, where tolls were collected,
for the selling of animals.
walls to the Shambles are constructed of Sedimentary stone.
There are a number of openings both arched and square and
the main entrance has wrought iron gates.
The Ballycastle/Belderrig Development Co. bought it in 1999
and a number of various options are being discussed as to
it's future use.